According to @BlogActionDay, today, October 15, 2009, is the day to blog about the importance of climate change in the world, as well as taking a stand with the government to enforce a desire to change. The website for Blog Action Day boasts many different ways to get your opinion about climate change out there, blogging just happens to be one way.

Many out there try to claim that there’s nothing wrong with the planet as it is. That it is just fine and is not suffering from our continued pollution. Well, they’re wrong. Glaciers are melting, temperatures are getting more drastic, seasons aren’t so easy to tell apart, and the amount of smog that we have put into the atmosphere is altering the health and well-being of the people who inhabit this planet.

I recycle everything that is possibly recyclable. I try to keep the heat down in the winter and the a/c off in the summer so that I don’t use a lot of energy. I use those energy saving light bulbs and turn lights off when I leave a room. I drive a car that is both more fuel efficient than my previous car as well as standard shift (to further the fuel efficiency). All of my clothes are washed in cold water and dried on low (or not dried in the dryer at all – line drying is the best way to go!). (These are just some examples of the things that I do in my household to reduce my carbon footprint.) I am working hard to reduce my carbon footprint, are you?

Blog Action Day says: “More than any other country, action taken by the United States to limit greenhouse gases and build a clean energy economy is needed to achieve a sustainable solution to our global climate crisis. This December world leaders will gather in Copenhagen to negotiate a global response to climate change. As a world leader in greenhouse gas pollution as well as clean energy technology, the United States needs to take bold action by implementing comprehensive clean energy policies to curb emissions. Nobel Peace Prize Winner and President Barack Obama has said that climate change is an urgent threat, and now is the time for him to lead the United States in confronting the climate crisis. This is a chance for people around the world and in the United States to join together in telling President Obama that we want him to lead the United States in taking bold and significant action to reduce greenhouse gasses. Time is running out, and our planet can't afford to wait.”

I urge you to join together with millions of people worldwide to support the call to action on behalf of Mother Nature. Do what you can to reduce your carbon footprint and convince your leaders that it is important to you for our earth to be saved and protected.

I’m lucky to live where I do. I live surrounded by protected lands. The MetroParks and the National Parks are all around me. It’s some of the most beautiful land you could ever see, and I am lucky to live in a state that finds it important to preserve them. I also live in a city that recycles all plastics (1-7) as well as numerous other things. I realize that these elements make it a bit easier for me to ‘do good’ by the earth, but in turn, I would continue this path were it not so ‘easy’ for me to do so.

Please join me in reducing your carbon footprint by making some life changes today. Feel free to comment about the things you’re doing to reduce your carbon footprint and what actions you’re taking to stand up for the Earth and its health.

Thank you, Meig.

Other sites to check out:
350: Twitter and Website
Friends of the Earth UK: Twitter and Website
TckTckTck: Twitter and Website
Tree Hugger: Twitter and Website
Oxfam America: Blog Post, Twitter and Website
Me: Twitter

Comments

  1. I am passionate about spreading the news and my discouragement with bureaucracy lack of action.

    I know you, a voice of Climate Change, can help spread this message of hope.

    Below is a link to an article describing a Stanford University tested Global Warming Solution that is being neglected by our government!

    Join me in spreading this message in order to move our policy makers to act, and act now! If they don't, big business will be sure to take the reins and turn this positive, earth saving invention into a profit driven entity.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts