1.10.2014

Baby Quilts

Ok, so it has been about forever since I posted here. I'm terribly sorry. I haven't even posted my pictures from last year's trip to Mexico!!

Anyway, I'll start on the back log of what I've been working on this past year and promise to be better about blogging. :)

Last year I had two friends have babies. I had never made a quilt before, but it was on my 2013 resolution list to make one top to bottom. So, I made two.


The first was a Jelly Roll Race Quilt. I got a jelly roll of a really cute line from Riley Blake called "Saddle Up" and I used the girly colorways from it and then mixed in some Kona solids to break it up and add to it. I didn't do any sashing because I didn't know how yet, but I think it turned out ok anyway.

I used a Denyse Schmidt that I got at Jo-Ann's for the back and I just did some straight line quilting to add some bulk to it. This was the first time I used my walking foot, too. I used pre-fab quilt binding and hated it so now I only make my own binding.


I also added a little label that I made from grosgrain ribbon and fabric ink and stamps.

The second quilt I made was from a pattern called On The Boardwalk by It's Sew Emma. My cousin used it for her niece's quilt and I loved it so much I asked for some help to make one for my longest friend's first baby.

The fabric I used was a FQ stack of the Mo Willems' Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus (from the Fat Quarter Shop - love them!). My friend and I are big readers and baby E is going to be too. This is one of my favorite children's stories so I jumped at the chance to use the fabric. (My mom gave the book at the shower so she got a bag with the quilt, its pillows, and books.)

I used the multi panel from the stack for the backing - it was a tight squeeze, but I was determined to make it work. I did straight line quilting long the boxes on the front and bound it with a dot print (by whom, I now forget).

Along with the fabric was a panel that had two pillows and a hand puppet. I made them all pillows, though. I used some of the leftover fabric from that panel for one of the pieces on the front. (Thanks to my girl Yvette for helping me with all the cutting - I never would have finished it!)


So, there you have it. Two baby quilts done. I'll do another post about my Lorax Quilt and the one that I've got in the works now. I also did a tshirt quilt (which, coincidentally, is the largest quilt I've ever made) so I'll post about that one too.


No comments:

Post a Comment