Christmasy Questions


I found this on another blog I love so I thought I'd share my answers. :)

1. Egg nog or hot chocolate? Hot chocolate. With peppermint. And sometimes, loads of espresso in there too. J

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Santa wraps presents. He always did and still does, although the only presents from Santa in my house are for the pets and they don’t know the difference so I guess it’s sort of moot now.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? White lights with white wire. My tree is green, but my ornaments are pink and silver so the white/white went best with that scheme.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? Nope.

5. When do you put your decorations up? Sometime after Thanksgiving. Sometimes it’s the day after, sometimes it’s after that. It all depends on when I feel Christmasy.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish? TURKEY. And cookies. But I really love the egg casserole my Grandma Stevic used to make. I wish I knew what all was in it. We also do cinnamon rolls sometimes when we’re all together, but since that rarely happens anymore (I have my own church now so I don’t get home from Christmas Eve service until after midnight, and then the time to pack myself and the dog in the car to drive to my parents’ house would put me there around 3am!), I usually eat a poptart or something on Christmas Morning.

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child? Waiting on the stairs with my brother and sister while we waited for mom and dad to be sure Santa wrapped all the presents and got out of the house in time. My brother would play push my sister and me to try and get our heads past the wall so we’d get in trouble for peeking and my sister and I would try to get him back.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I believe it was at my Aunt’s house, although I’m not really sure when or if this is a dream or real memory. Someone (probably one of my cousins) said Santa isn’t real and the rest of the family tried to fix it, but the magic was gone. HOWEVER, I know St. Nicholas was real and was a wonderful man so I remember him on Christmas and the great things he did for the world.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?  We used to open a present or two on Christmas Eve because after we got back from church, it was ‘technically Christmas Morning’ and in the morning we had to go to everyone’s houses for celebrating. But now, no. I wait until I’m with my family to open mine from them. But this year I will be opening presents on Christmas Eve because that’s the day that Brandi, Tony, JJ, and I are having our ‘family Christmas’ together. J

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? The color scheme, as I already said, is pink and silver. I use new ornaments and childhood ones. My tree isn’t big enough for all the ornaments I have, so I just pick and choose. Some get on there every year (like the cow ones and my ‘Grandchild’s First Christmas’ one, but for the most part, it’s just whatever I feel like putting on there goes.

11. Snow! Love it or dread it? I love snow! I can’t imagine Christmas without it! 

12. Can you ice skate? Yes! I’m not very good at it, but yes I can!

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? One year I got a stuffed dog for Christmas and the next year I got the matching cat. I can’t remember what they were, but I loved those things. I think I still have them somewhere. Oh, and the pink Barbie limo. I LOVED that thing. It was a present that ‘Santa forgot to put under the tree.’

14. What’s the most important thing about the holidays for you? My family. Whether it’s my blood relations or the family I created with friends. My family is always first and I love spending time with them on Christmas. I also really enjoy finding gifts that are perfect for them.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? My grandmother used to make an apple pie for me because I hated pumpkin pie. That is my favorite Christmas dessert. It was dutch apple, too. With the crumblies!!

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? The candlelight service. It’s my favorite part of Christmas. We sing silent night by candlelight and celebrate the birth of Jesus as a church family.

17. What tops your tree? I have two toppers. One is a silver, glittery angel who plays a trumpet. I can’t find her this year so I got a cheap-o pink, glittery star to put up there instead.

18. Which do you prefer: giving or receiving? Giving. I love to give my time, love, and friendship as well as gifts that warm the heart.

19. Candy canes: yuck or yummy? YUMMMMMMYYYY!

20. Favorite Christmas show? Muppet Christmas Carol.

21. Saddest Christmas song? Hmmm. I don’t know.

22. What is your favorite Christmas song? It’s actually a hymn: ‘Twas In the Moon of Wintertime; such a beautiful piece. It’s the story of the birth of Christ in the native Canadian Huron language. The English version that we now sing is a translation of that but describes the birth of Christ in images they would understand like ‘a lodge of broken bark’ instead of a stable and the baby is wrapped in a ‘robe of rabbit skin’ instead of swaddling clothes. It brings the story to them in images they understand within their culture.


We wish you all a very VERY Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and best wishes for the upcoming new year. May you have joys and happiness with your families and loved ones.

Comments

Popular Posts